Barbeque, jello and a holiday weekend full of cocktails (or mocktails) may be ahead this 4th of July weekend. But holidays are for celebrating and community, mindfulness and living your fullest life is what we preach at Hot 8 Yoga. We just want to be there for you on the other side! We will be open at all studios for a morning and noon class, so you can get your workout in before festivities begin. We will open back up for regular hours on July 5th. To get ourselves back on track and feeling that inner glow, here are a few recommendations for getting back to 100 post-holiday!
The less time you spend reveling in guilt, the quicker and easier it will be to start re-focusing on getting the good things into your body. Plus, stressing out spikes the level of cortisol in your body, which slows metabolism and increases the body’s propensity to store belly fat.
Instead, remember that there is no wagon to fall off of. Life is a journey full of ebbs and flows, healthy days, great workout classes, delicious after-work cocktails, and occasional late-night pizza that just feels so good. Let go of the guilt and use that energy toward action that will help you get back to feeling great, like preparing healthy meals, getting back into your exercise routine or recommitting to a daily meditation practice.
1. Aim to eat at least five cups of fresh, organic greens each day.
2. Load up on probiotics—either a high-quality supplement or fermented foods and beverages like kimchi and kombucha—to help bring your gut microbiome back into balance.
3. Eat & drink your water! Eat plenty of water-rich plants, like cucumbers, greens, and melon to help regulate digestion and reverse bloat. If you had a little too much beer and carbs over the weekend, you’ll probably be craving caffeine and sugary snacks, but try to stay away from them. Reach for a detox tea or mineral water instead. When lunchtime rolls around, look for fruits and veggies that are high in water content, so that you can continue to hydrate those cells. Fluids are key since extra salt, sugar, and alcohol can dehydrate your body. Start the day with a tall glass of water or warm cup of any type of tea, then drink throughout the day, aiming for 64 to 100 ounces to flush out the pollutants from the weekend.
4. Hop into your fave hot yoga class. My faves post-holiday are Hot Power Fusion, Hot Yoga and Yin Yoga. But if you are feeling like you want some extra burn, I’d go with Yoga Sculpt, Yoga Vibe, Yoga Barre or of course the almighty Power. A hot practice creates a massive elimination of toxins in the body due to the large amount of sweating that occurs. You may need a nap after, but that would have been 6 on our list (get your rest!).
5. Take deep belly breaths and meditate to relieve stress, lower cortisol (the stress hormone that can cause you to hold onto fat), and support digestion.